Where do your brilliant business ideas come from?
(Creative Commons Image: www.flickr.com)
As a small business owner, once you ‘shut up shop’ for the day do you also shut off thinking about your business? I find my best ideas come when I’m not doing anything connected with work… I went to Riverfire and the Brisbane Writers Festival on the weekend – a few hours chilling out and five new and amazing business ideas landed in my ideas notebook!
So, how exactly does that happen? Most essentially, I am a keen observer, always looking for creative opportunities in unexpected places. When I see a possible opportunity, I start asking questions… lots of them… until I find an idea that gives me tingles. Here’s a few questions you can ask when you are out and about…
- Is anyone here in my target audience? If so, what would it take for my business to get access to them at an event like this?
- What would make this audience want to know more about my business?
- Are there any unmet needs here that my business could fulfil?
- Are there any existing but underutilized resources here that I could leverage?
- What business ideas are beyond what I can imagine is possible? What would it take to make these ideas possible?