Marketing Guru Seth Godin says that “Ideas That Spread, Win”. Now I bet you are thinking, yes, but my product isn’t interesting enough, isn’t innovative, isn’t new, isn’t….. whatever!
Just because what you are selling may be “boring”, does not mean you or your company should be! So, if your business was offering something boring, say a blender, what could you do to make people take notice of your offer? Take a look at this...
Is it cheesy? Sure! Is it cheap advertising? Well how would you like to spend $50 on props, make 5 ‘homegrown’ videos and get over six million views on YouTube within one week? BlendTec make the world’s best blenders, but until they thought creatively about their marketing, no-one knew!
Is it worth starting a creative revolution in your business? Well, as business owners and managers, you know that results are where the rubber meets the road. Since the introduction of the videos:
- Overall sales increased 43% in the first six months;
- Blendtec's consumer sales increased 500% in 2007;
- Website traffic increased 650%;
- The extended ‘Will It Blend’ campaign has received over 100 million views on YouTube;
- The campaign provided a breakthrough in market segmentation – previously the company was primarily a commercial blender manufacturer;
- Marketing department is now a profit centre for BlendTec!
- Be compelling, be quirky, be different.
- Be entertaining, be surprising.
- Be willing to experiment.
- Solve a problem or provide proof your product works.
- Create a personality for your business.
- Be prepared to leverage your success.
- Use social media to your advantage!